Municipal Appeals

Certain offenses are handled in the municipal courts of New Jersey rather than the criminal courts. Disorderly persons offenses and motor vehicle violations such as DWI are handled at the municipal level, and if you are not satisfied with how your case was handled, you may be able to appeal.

To find out if your case can be appealed call us today to arrange your free consultation, 732-377-2005.

It is important to remember that appeals must be filed within 20 days if you have been found guilty of:
• Disorderly person offense
• Motor vehicle violation
• Traffic violation
• Leaving the scene of an accident
• Driving on a suspended or revoked license
• Second or third offenses of these violations

You cannot appeal just because you were found guilty: there must be a legal reason why the decision of the municipal court was not correct. You can appeal on the grounds of a denied motion that should have been granted, lack of sufficient evidence, accuracy of breathalyzer test results, or ineffective assistance of counsel.